CALONTIR WAR of the LILIES 2023 MERCHANT INFORMATION
Welcome to Calontir War of the Lilies 2023! “A Simple War”
The Lilies War is Calontir's way to show the Known World just how much fun a war can be when you fight amongst yourselves.
This year it will be held June 9-18. The site features open fields, separated by wooded areas and a swimming lake that never closes.
Come join us for a week of battles, tournaments, classes, archery, medieval games, shopping, and nights of singing, dancing and reveling.
Dates for this year’s war: June 9-18, 2023
Site: Kelsey Short Youth Camp, Smithville Lake, Missouri. About 30 minutes north of downtown Kansas City (and even closer to the KC airport).
Website for Calontir War of the Lilies: http://www.lilieswar.org
Pre-registration for merchanting at Lilies 2023 is expected. Pre-registration for the Food Court is MANDATORY!While we still have plenty of space for camping, the merchant areas are getting cozy. Pre-registration assures you will have a reserved space in a merchant area.
Deadline: Deadline for pre-registration is May 20, 2023. Registration begins April 1. Merchant Areas:
Merchant Market: This will be in the large triangular plot of land across from the archery range, where the “Old Market” had been in the past.
Food Court: Along asphalt road south of the Medical Recharge Tent.
Blanket:. Blanket Merchants must be on a blanket no bigger than 10ft x 12ft. Blanket merchants will only be allowed to be selling from sun up to sun down, with the exception of midnight madness.
In Camp: Merchants wishing to merchant from a tent in a location other than the designated merchant areas will be considered
“In Camp” merchants.
Fees: (merchant fee does NOT include site fee). The merchant fee is $25 this year. My contact information:
33608 US Highway 65Collins, Iowa 50055 email@example.com
E-mail confirmations will be sent when a registration request is received so please be sure your e-mail address is correct.
All merchants will be allowed on site at Noon on June 9. There are no early ons as the set up crew will be busy until then.. Start at Troll to pay your site fee then continue to your merchant area to check-in. A merchant office will be set by the trees across from the permanent pavilion. Merchants may set up in their designated spot in their merchant area after talking to Antonia or a deputy at the merchant office.
Moonlight Madness will be on Wednesday night from 7 pm to 11 pm. All merchants will be open from 10 am to 5 pm each day and may close for a few hours on Wednesday to prepare for Moonlight Madness.
Merchant Tents: No modern “ez up” type tents. A canvas tent or day shade is needed. Talk to Antonia if this is a problem, we can help!
No Smoking in Merchant tents: Per Calontir Kingdom law; “Smoking is prohibited in all areas, inside or out, in which members of the populace must be present in order to participate in any aspect of an event”. Selling and teaching space/tents are affected by the law, personal tents are not.
Merchant Rules and Guidelines: Merchants are subject to the event rules listed in the Lilies War 2023 Booklet. Egregious transgressions of merchant or war rules may cause a merchant to be marked as non-compliant (see below). Serious transgression may result in complete removal from the site for the duration of the war.
- Trailers: per the event rules: “Trailers may not be parked in Camps, and must be parked in the Trailer lot.” Exceptions have been made for merchants on a case-by-case basis. Contact the merchant autocrat, with photos, BEFORE June 1 if you need your trailer in camp. NOTE: Lilies War is not responsible for moving your trailer in or out of your merchant space!
- Sales tax: Merchants are responsible for collecting and forwarding sales taxes to the State of Missouri. Tax information will not be provided.
- Alcohol : No alcohol may be sold on site.
- Food: Only pre-packaged non-perishable food may be sold outside of the Food Court. Food vendors must be compliant with all permits and inspections required by the Clay County, MO health dept. Information can be found here:
- https://www.clayhealth.com/DocumentCenter/View/466/Food-Establishment-Temporary- Guidelines and applications are here:
- https://www.clayhealth.com/DocumentCenter/View/65/Application-for-Temporary-Food- Permit-PDF?bidId=
- Liability Insurance : Merchants of blades, weapons, and other “inherently dangerous” merchandise are not required to have liability insurance; however, it is recommended. Merchants who do not have proof of liability insurance are required to post a sign in their sales area stating to the effect: “These Wares are Dangerous. You Could Hurt Yourself Handling Them. Handle At Your Own Risk. Govern Children Closely”
- Music: No mundane music is allowed and please watch the volume on any music you do play to be sure it is not disturbing to your neighbors.
- Open Times: All merchants in the Merchant Market and Food Court must be open for business from 10 am to 5 pm. You may be open longer if you like. If this is not possible, the merchant is required to get approval from the Merchant Coordinator or Committee Merchant Liaison prior to set up. Decisions will be made on a case by case basis.
- Check out: All merchants must be packed and leave by noon on Sunday, June 17th.
Each merchant MUST check in with the merchant autocrat for their area before leaving, to allow for a walk through of their site. Failure to check in before leaving will cause the merchant to be marked as non-compliant. (see below)
At noon on Sunday, the merchant autocrat will record any merchants still on site, documenting such through photographs. All such merchants will be recorded as non- compliant.
Any merchant whose site requires additional cleanup will be marked as non-compliant. Lack of cleanup will be documented with photographs.
Lilies War does not provide any assistance for setting up merchant camps. No merchant help will be allowed onsite Friday before the registered merchant has checked in. Names of “Ghost” helpers (ie; someone not attending the war and only onsite to help with setup) need to be noted with merchant registration.
Non-compliant Merchants: All merchants who are marked as non-compliant will be notified by the end of July by at least two of the following means: by letter, by phone, by email or in person in the presence of either the Lilies autocrat or the chair of the Lilies Committee.
In the year following being marked as non-compliant, a merchant must meet the following additional requirements:
- *Be pre-registered by April 1
- *Submit a $50 deposit with the pre-registration (per the Lilies Committee Financial Policy; the check will be deposited, and a refund, if appropriate, will be issued after the end of the War.)
- *Perform five hours of community service, arranged through the Merchant Autocrat.
- *The merchant shall surrender seniority of position within the marketplace.
If a non-compliant merchant does not participate in the next consecutive Lilies War, the merchant must submit to the above requirements on the first year they return to the war. That is, you may not escape the consequences by skipping the next war, and come back washed clean.
After a year in which a merchant was listed as non-compliant, he or she again is non- compliant, it will be deemed that the merchant is unable to follow the War of the Lilies rules, and the merchant shall be denied registration as a merchant at Lilies for the next three years. Additionally, no refund of the deposit will be issued.
Any merchant who has been marked as non-compliant three times in a period of six years will be deemed to be unable to follow the rule and will similarly be rejected for the next three years
The merchant autocrat will list any merchants who have been deemed non-compliant, as well as any merchants who have removed themselves from such status as part of the final Lilies report.
In addition to the compliance issues noted above, merchants are subject to the same expectations of conduct as any participant in any activity of the Society for Creative Anachronism. Discourteous, disorderly, or dangerous behavior of any type may result in a penalty to the merchant including and up to ejection from the event site. In case of ejection, we regret that no fees or funds of any kind will be returned or prorated. By paying the registration fee, the merchant agrees to and understands the foregoing conditions and agrees to abide by the same.
Any other questions please contact Antonia Stefani or firstname.lastname@example.org